“Thinking Green” is one of our values as a company year round, but we are always excited for Earth Day to come. This April 22nd, 2016 is an entire day devoted to igniting passion and motivating people to be more conscious about sustainability. We wanted to put together a list of 10 easy things you can incorporate into your life to join in on the Earth Day celebrations.
1. Plant a tree – For the past three Earth Days, we’ve participated in supporting The Nature Conservancy in their “Plant a Billion” campaign. For every subscription we sell on Earth Day, we will donate one dollar to The Nature Conservancy. For every dollar they receive, they will plant one tree! One subscription= One dollar donated = One tree planted. Make CE management easy for yourself AND help sustain the Earth all in one action. Sign up for your Professional Account today!
2. Stop junk mail – You know what we’re talking about here. The stuff you get in the mail that you promptly toss in the trash… Millions of trees are chopped down a year to make those pamphlets and flyers and they just end up in our trash. Help limit this unsustainable and wasteful practice by pledging to take action and reduce the amount of junk mail you receive in your home.
3. Eat more veggies – The meat industry is responsible for approximately 20% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. Producing one calorie of meat requires nearly twenty times the amount of energy as one plant calorie! We know it’s not realistic for most people to go vegetarian 100% of the time, but maybe you could participate in “Meatless Mondays.” Find some tasty vegetarian meals here.
4. Drink out of a reusable water bottle – Currently about 300 million tons of plastic are produced each year to make bags, bottles, packages, and other commodities for people all over the world. Unfortunately, only about ten percent of this plastic is properly recycled and reused. The rest ends up as waste in landfills or as litter in our natural environment, where it leaches dangerous chemicals into the nearby soil and water, endangering humans and wildlife alike. Cut down your plastic water bottle usage by investing in one nice water bottle you can reuse forever!
5. Reusable grocery bags – Have you joined this trend yet? It’s super easy to do and you can find some well-designed bags out there! Just leave them in your car so they are easy to grab when you make a grocery run.
6. Turn off the tap – Turning off the water between wetting your toothbrush and rinsing your mouth is one of the simplest and most effective ways to save water while brushing your teeth. The University of Illinois calculates that shutting off the tap instead of letting it run continuously will save your family up to 10 gallons of water daily. Learn other ways to conserve water here.
7. Eat local – Eating local can be more nutritious and delicious! Not to mention eating locally cuts down on carbon emissions needed to transport items to a grocery store near you. Find a local farmer’s market and show your support.
8. Conserve electricity – There are a few things that you can easily do to conserve electricity. Be sure to turn off lights in rooms when you are not using them. Additionally, you can switch your lightbulbs to CFLs that use a whopping 70% less energy than the standard lightbulb. Plus, they last longer! Learn more about CFLs here.
9. Go thrifting – Buy secondhand when you can! There are tons of online sites out there now that allow you to purchase gently used items: Craigslist and Freecycle to name a few. We are a nation of consumers, but let’s consume in a smarter way!
10.Pay bills online – For most online bills, you can opt to pay online and put an end to receiving paper mail. It’s quicker and easier than having to mail in a check every month to multiple different companies. Plus, you’ll do your part in reducing the amount of paper that is wasted in mailing out bills.
We hope you are able to easily implement some of these tips in to your life! For more information on how all of us here at CE Broker are “Thinking Green,” take a look at our Sustainability page.